28 Oct 2010

How do I change the Title tag of my posts in Blogger?


When Google displays search results to a user it bases a lot of its judgement on the relevance of the page to the search term, this relevance is determined by many items on the page, the Title tag is one of the most important. The Title tag heavily influences search results because it should give a good overview of what the page is about, similar to a title in a book, it summarises the pages content for the reader (search engines read Title tags the same). If your blogger title tag is just the title of the blog (blogger defaults to this) even when you are on a specific posts page then you are not using it to its full potential - and not helping search engines determine the pages true content - penalising the posts potential positions within the SERP's.

With a simple block of code that replaces your original title tag you can have your blogs title displayed on the home page like so "My Blog'. And a more specific one when you go to a specific posts page like so "My Post | My Blog".

This method is much more effective when it comes to SEO because it is a descriptive title tag and will include the keywords that help search engines determine the pages subject.

So, how do you change your title tags in Blogger?

Within the Edit HTML portion of the blogger dashboard. All you have to do is replace your original title tag code in the template which should look something like this.

<title><data:blog.pageTitle/></title>

With this.

<b:if cond='data:blog.pageType == "item"'>
<title><data:blog.pageName/> | <data:blog.title/></title>
<b:else/>
<title><data:blog.pageTitle/></title>
</b:if>

Simple! Now Google knows what your blogger pages are about and will move them up the rankings (within the SERP's) accordingly.

For more information on business blogging on blogger or any of the other platforms, or even info on Social Media Marketing contact Rathbone Digital Marketing Agency.

20 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice information for bloggers.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this post, I used to work as a waitress but I never made enough for bills. So I started my own home business selling import export goods online. I have been selling on ebay and etsy but I want to have my own website too, I chose blogger because it was easy...your post greatly helped my content.

Rashmi said...

This post seems to be really quite interesting as well as informative too. Thanks for sharing such an awesome information.

SEO Services in India

Kinneth said...

I dont speak on many sites that I come across but I felt I couldn’t pass up the opportunity with your SEO blog.
Excellent post. I can only imagine what you will be writing in the future.
I have subscribed, and will be tweeting your posts to my followers. non-profit organization

Unknown said...

Pay Per Click Agency
This technique is much more efficient when it comes to SEO because it is a illustrative name tag and will involve the key terms that help you have the webpages topic.

Silviu said...

This information was very useful to me.I did not paid any attention in first place to the title tag but now I will do it ;)
Alle

Unknown said...

Your post is very nice & i got many tips & idea about seo and web design.web development company chennaiThanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

You need SEO the most important thing or first thing for your website. For grow your Business. You need a good SEO service provider like us.
Seo Essex

asbcommunications said...

Good Info on social media marketing. Your blog feature much of the same content that I have come to expect here.
social media marketing strategy
Event Marketing Company

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing this. Now I can put a title on my blogger. :)

optimind seo and web design Philippines

Unknown said...

Blogging has become the most widely used tool for the expression of one’s views, ideas, and sharing creativity and talent online with millions of users around the world.
Web Design Outsourcing

Billa said...

A good website is very important in promoting anything.
Bangalore website designing companies | web design bangalore

Siva Sivalingam said...

SEO can be used to build links. It is the best suitable for your business and marketing purpose.
Bangalore SEO Experts | Magento Developers India

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the move Wayne – I hope that it’s not too painful!! In any case, although I’m a great fan of WordPress as you know, at the end of the day it won’t make a great blog on its own, just help it. Luckily the great content you have at http://www.blahblahtech.com makes yours one that, I believe, will really benefit from the extras WordPress can offer.

SEO

Web Developing Services said...

Title tag is very important for blogger and website blog also.Because Google Algorithm always giving most preference to title tag.This blog information should helpful to make good title for blogger profile.
Web Design Companies | Web Development Companies

Unknown said...

Such a Informative Post..about Seo..To increase a traffic of our Website..
Magento Web Designing Company

Unknown said...

The Title tag heavily influences in Google search because when you search anything what you want. Google always fetch those web pages whose Meta tags matched to your query. Meta tags plays vital role in on page seo services.

francy said...

Your blogs are totally worth giving time and energy.
Web Design Company Bangalore
Web Designing Bangalore
Web Designer Bangalore

Richard C. Lambert said...

This may also be incorporated in many platforms in time to come. ​new york seo company

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Post a Comment